Samstag, 14. September 2013

Dornröschen

For my Abenteuer mit Deutsch assignment I decided to try reading a few of the classic Deutsch Der Brüder Grimm Fairy-Tales. The first story I read was Dornröschen, or Briar Rose, and for those of us who love Disney its the story of sleeping beauty. This was my favorite of the few. (If anyone is interested in seeing them here's the link, they have English translations too, but obviously they don't match exactly so I found it better just to read it and infer what it meant through context and previous knowledge of the story). I learned something helpful about reading things in German during this, that it actually really helps when all the nouns are capitalized because it helps me recognize the subject or object of the sentence even if I'm not sure what the verb or action is at first. For example, this sentence I enjoyed; "Da schliefen auch die Pferde im Stall, die Hunde im Hof, die Tauben auf dem Dache, die Fliegen an der Wand..." For one thing it uses some things I know already, such as der Wand meaning wall, and die Fliegen I found out means flies. This part describes the animals that fell asleep during the spell that was cast over the kingdom and it states that the horses fell asleep in their stalls, the dogs fell asleep in the yard, the pigeons on the roof and even the flies on the walls fell asleep. 

One word that threw me for a loop when I saw it was "zurückblieb" which I believe if I'm translating it richtig means "left behind" but I'm still kind of confused on this since I think it may be a German idiom type word.

A word I do think I will start using bin "zusammen" (together). I think it will be useful later on when learning how to form more complex sentences, and for talking with my German studying roommates.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.