When I read this brochure I found it interesting that not many Americans associate themselves as Germans anymore because of the stereotypes or indiscretions that go along with the term German. Of course the history of Germany has a play to that but I still found it interesting that even today, people still disassociate themselves as Germans. As I read more of the article, what I found compelling was that most Germans immigrated to the upper Western parts of America, when I thought to believe most of them would have resided more in New England. Along with that I was intrigued that they moved to states such as Wisconsin because it looked like their home country, which I thought was unique. What I did not know that this article brought to my attention was how influential German culture has been to our language and to our religion. What captivated me the most was the services and Sunday school was taught in German until the twentieth century, and I thought that Latin would have been the choice of language in the Church. I also did not know that German were the ones who had the most influence of Dutch people in Pennsylvania. Something that was interesting to me was that Bambi was written by a German author and had a underlying theme of Jews, which I had not known. I was very surprised to learn how much influence German language had had on America, and that it was one of the most wide spread and taught languages in the early 20th century. I also loved the fact the the brochure showed how America was also influencing Germany today. I enjoyed it showing that each country influences each other and how culture and language leaks over borders.
Emma Guarino
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.