I read the articles on the mixing of German and English
languages. I am very interested in
languages so I found it fascinating. I
know the IC and ICE trains in Germany have the announcer speak in English and German throughout the trip.
In local trains in cities they do the
same but only at important stops like airports or end of the line. They sometimes had interesting word choices
for the English section, for example, using ‘front and rear’ rather than front
and back. I don’t know if they were
trying to sound fancy or what. It even confused
my German friends who lived in the city that heard it every day.
Denglish is interesting.
It combines some English words incorrectly or out of date terms for
example Das Handy, Smoking, Sprayer. I
can see where they got the English derivative, but it’s use is quite
outdated. Perhaps it’s because of Communism. With the Iron Curtain, the Berlin Wall and East
and West Germany, ‘Germany’ was culturally split for many years. With Communism East Germany didn’t have
capitalist ‘propaganda’ to influence their speech. Once Communism fell they could be influenced
by the US and its style of clothing and speech.
This may also explain why many Germans dress outdated as well (neo 80s
and 90s).
The mixing of the two languages definitely helps make the
language easier. Germans now have
shorter words to use like App instead of Anwendungen für mobile Endgeräte. It makes speech simpler and lets it have some
‘flow.’
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.