Montag, 9. Dezember 2013
Kultur 6
As soon as I saw the picture with the article "Division Hell: Worshipping the Garbage Gods" I had a war flashback to this past summer in Germany. We had landed at the Frankfurt airport and had an hour or so before our ride was supposed to pick up. I had just finished a bag of Cheese-Its and was ready to throw it away. Except, it was easier said than done. Unlike American airports, there isn't a trash can every five feet. I had to walk to a different part of the airport just to locate one trashcan. Prepared to finally dispose my waste, I was startled to find a puzzle of a bin, like the Swedish tourist who had written in with her experience. First, I had to absorb the colors: red, blue, yellow, green--it was all so much. Then, I had to read through different languages before I finally found "waste." It was quite the culture shock. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for recycling, but the Germans take it to a whole new level. For the rest of my stay in Germany and Austria, my family and I just held onto our trash until we got back to our hotel rooms, where there was only one trash can dedicated solely for waste.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.